API stands for Application Programming Interface. An API allows you to programmatically interact with certain parts of RESPONSUM and exchange information. RESPONSUM provides API endpoints for certain core functionalities/data that can be useful for certain automations and integrations with other (operational) systems/tools.
These API endpoints will be updated/extended over time, but we will make sure that they stay backwards compatible so that created integrations continue to work. If you have any questions or enquiries for new endpoints, let us know via email@example.com.
API Base URL
To use an API endpoint, you need to be able to send your requests to a certain URL. The following is the base URL for the RESPONSUM API endpoints:
A specific endpoint needs to be added after the base URL to launch a certain request to that specific endpoint.
The RESPONSUM API endpoints adhere to the REST architecture and allows the use of the following possible requests:
- GET: The GET request allows you to read/retrieve an item that is present within RESPONSUM;
- POST: The POST request allows you to create a new item within RESPONSUM;
- PUT: The PUT request allows you to update an entire item that is present within RESPONSUM;
- DELETE: DELETE request allows you to delete an item that is present within RESPONSUM;
- PATCH: The PATCH request allows you to update specific parameters of an item that is present within RESPONSUM.
A full list of all Public endpoints can be found via our API portal.
API Access (APIKey)
RESPONSUM protects it’s endpoints by use of a unique API key that needs to be provided with each request in order to get a valid response. This API key can be generated within the RESPONSUM UI for each licensed User Account.
In order to create an API key you can:
- Navigate to Configuration >> Users (User Management). Here you can select the user you want the API key to be generated for and press the “Generate API key” button.
- Navigate to your own User Profile by pressing your avatar in the top right corner followed by “Profile”. Here you will be able to press the “Generate API key” button to generate an API key for your User Account.
Keep in mind:
An API key that is generated will only be shown once via the UI. Store this key safely. If you lose the API key, a new one can be generated by repeating the steps taken to create one again.
API response codes, parameters and request body
The API portal will provide detailed information for each API endpoint of RESPONSUM. It will give you an indication of:
- The necessary parameters to provide with a request and an example of the expected request body;
- A short description of the uses of the API endpoint;
- The possible response codes for the API endpoint and their meaning.
The interface will also allow you to test a specific API request before implementing it by using the “Try it out” button when a specific API endpoint is expanded.