The results are based on the CMMI Maturity Levels. Maturity level wise Process Areas are divided into following five categories:
- Maturity Level 1 – Initial.
- Maturity Level 2 – Managed.
- Maturity Level 3 – Defined.
- Maturity Level 4 – Quantitatively Managed.
- Maturity Level 5 – Optimizing.
The control criteria linked to the levels are written to acknowledge that each succeeding level of maturity is built upon its predecessor. Essentially, you cannot run without first learning how to walk. Likewise, you cannot walk without first learning how to crawl.